Moving from VPS to Dedicated Servers
I recently decided to try out a dedicated server from Hetzner using their server auctions. If you don't know what the auctions are, they basically auction off old servers that you can get for pretty cheap. I ended up getting a pretty beefy server memory and disk wise for roughly 50$ a month which is about what I'm spending on Linode at this point.
For a quick comparison of what I'm running.
I have 4 VPS's totalling 10 GB of ram usage. This costs me in all about 50$ a month. In all honestly it's pretty damn expensive because virtually everything I run is more ram dependent than cpu.
To be more specific:
- 2x 4GB Linodes
- 2x 1GB Linodes
With Hetzner I ordered a whole dedicated server with the following specs:
- 64GB Memory
- 2x 4TB HDD
- 1x 1TB NVMe
- 1x 500GB SSD
My final monthly bill being around 55$/month (I also ordered an extra public IP to use as my main ingress IP for OPNSense)
Pros and Cons of Moving to Hetzner
I just want to cover this briefly about the pros and cons of moving up to Hetzner with a Dedicated server over a VPS.
- Using Proxmox let's me setup my own infrastructure to sync with my cloud infrastructure so now I can easily move a local VM to my Cloud server. TBH this is the biggest reason I wanted to give it a try
- Huge amount of RAM and disk space for the cost. I don't see how you could find anywhere cheaper
- Able to build out my own internal network with OPNSense and create a Site to Site VPN between all my data centers
- Proxmox fucking rocks
- You are responsible for the underlying host setup, I run Proxmox both personally and professionally so it's not a huge deal for me
- I'm located in the US and Hetzner servers are all Europe so there is a significant amount of latency added unfortunately
- It is a bit more work than just launching a VPS and being done with it
Honestly I'm happy with the move, I do wish the latency was less but most of the things I host over there aren't terribly latency dependent so it's not a huge loss. I think at some point I'll probably add a third dedicated server somewhere within the states and leverage all three in my infrastructure setup.
For the price, though, it's really hard to beat and if you need a good chunk of server it would be crazy to not at least consider Hetzner's server auctions!